anolis

My work here is finishing, but instead of winding down, I'm busier than ever. The hawks are moving quite far (5km radius round the box), so checking on them takes up a good part of the day. I'm also preparing reports and doing educational chats in the local communities, so I get little time to go out with the camera. But here are some pics of the guys who are lurking everywhere.
Mi trabajo acá ya está acabando, pero lo cierto es que estoy más ocupado que nunca. Los gavilanes se están moviendo en un radio de unos 5km alrededor de la caja y monitorearlos me lleva buena parte del día. Además estoy preparando informes y dando charlas educativas en las comunidades de la zona, así que tengo poco tiempo para salir con la cámara. Pero subo algunas fotillos de unos simpáticos animalitos que estan por todos lados.
This one hangs out in the veranda of the building where I live, and I see him scuttling about every day after lunch.
Este sale siempre desués de la hora del almuerzo a la veranda del edificio donde vivo.
When feeding the hawks at night, it's cool to see all the anolis sleeping. They find a vine or a big leaf where predators can't get at them and spend the night hanging there.
Cuando voy a alimentar a los gavilanes de noche, es una pasada ver a los anolis durmiendo. Se buscan una liana o alguna hoja donde los depredadores no los puedan alcanzar y pasan la noche ahí.
This one is an old friend. I've been seeing him every other night for the past four months hanging from the same vine along the path I made to the hackbox.
Este es un viejo amigo. Lo veo casi cada noche desde hace cuatro meses colgado de una liana en el camino que hice para llegar al hackbox.
When they're sleeping it's relatively easy to catch them. That's how we got this one, an Anolis baleatus (the largest species on the island).
Cuando duermen, es relativamente fácil capturarlos. Así agarramos a este, un Anolis baleatus (la especie más grande en la isla).
Relatively easy... Because when I was handling him for the pictures I got a taste of those nastily sharp little teeth (and he wouldn't let go, haha). But shedding a bit of blood was worth it. :)
Relativamente fácil... Al manipularlo para las fotos, pude comprobar que esos dientecillos son bastante afilados (y que cuando te tenía ya no te soltaba, jeje). Pero perder unas gotas de sangre valió la pena. :)
The cool dewlap.
El saco gular.
He behaved very well, taking into account I kept messing with him, placing him on different branches...
Se portó muy bien, a pesar de todo lo que lo molesté poniendolo en diferentes ramas...
He wouldn't even try running away (this species is actually quite slow when it comes to moving around), but opted for an "I'm not here" approach. :)
Ni siquiera intentaba huir (esta especie se mueve bastante lento), sino que insistía en la táctica de "Si no me muevo, no me ves". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment