hunting!

: )
I saw one of my 'kids' with it's own prey for the first time today! It's the male, Bruce, and he was eating a bat. Though this species of hawk is supposed to stick to reptiles they do take the occasional mammal, and I guess that for a juvenile learning to hunt, a bat is probably easier to catch than a running lizzard. This is definately one of the high points of the whole release process and a sign that it's all going well. Hard to explain how happy seeing that they're starting to fend for themselves made me, so I won't bother trying, hehe.
Hoy por primera vez vi a uno de mis 'niños' con una presa que había cazado él! Se trata del macho (Bruce) y se estaba comiendo un murciélago. En teoría esta especie de Buteo se alimenta princpialmente de reptiles, pero para un juvenil que está aprendiendo a cazar debe resultar más fácil un murciélago que una lagartija. Sin duda es de los mejores momentos de la reintroducción y una señal de que todo va bien. Se me hace difícil explicar lo feliz que me hace ver que estan aprendiendo a defenderse solitos, así que ni lo intentaré, jeje.
He couldn't get comfortable, switching perch trying to get a better hold on the bat to feed.
No paraba de cambiar de posición, intentando buscar un punto cómodo para comer.

1 comment:

  1. Intento buscar el rat-pennat però no el veig!

    ReplyDelete